When it’s time to upgrade or replace your vehicle, you have to decide between new or pre-owned. While buying a new vehicle has several obvious advantages, it will likely put a dent in your finances. Luckily, if you know what to look for and choose a reliable brand such as Mitsubishi, you can get a quality vehicle that will serve you for years for a fraction of the price of a new one.
What Are the Main Benefits of Buying a Used Car?
The number one reason why people are inclined to buy pre-owned vehicles instead of new ones is usually the price difference. Not only are you paying much more for a similar car when buying it new, but you’ll also lose a considerable part of its value in its first years on the road. Many cars lose up to half their value in the first three to four years, making the decision to buy new a very expensive one. There are other benefits to buying a used car other than the price difference, though. Here are some of the most important:
- You’ll keep saving money after buying it: Besides being cheaper to buy, a used vehicle is also good for your finances in other ways. Insurance is usually less expensive, and if you eventually decide to sell it, your losses will be minimum if you kept it in good condition.
- You’ll get it right away: When buying a new car, you’re likely to have to wait for several months before the dealer actually delivers it to you. When buying a used one, you can drive it off the lot the same day you make the purchase.
- More models fall into your price range: Regardless of your budget, you’ll have many more options to choose from on the used car market. This means you can get a quality car that fits all your needs for under $20k, which is a major challenge when buying new.
- You can get more optional features: Fitting a new car with exciting features, such as smartphone compatibility and advanced driver aids, can set you back several thousands of dollars. This price difference is significantly lower on used cars, meaning that you can get one with plenty of features for a great price.
- You’ll be protecting the environment: Gathering all the necessary raw materials and processing them to build a new vehicle is an extremely polluting activity. A used car has already gone through that process, meaning that you’ll be helping the environment by choosing to buy it instead of a new one.
- You can make a better-informed decision: While new models are more exciting and glamorous, nobody really knows how well they’ll stand the test of time. Before buying a used one, you can research reliability scores and ratings and make sure you choose one that’s likely to run well for many years.
- Getting one from a dealership means it’s been thoroughly tested: If you still have doubts regarding the quality and reliability of a used vehicle, deciding to buy one from a trusted dealership such as Performance Mitsubishi will alleviate your concerns. Our trained technicians inspect all vehicles available for sale and make sure they’re in excellent condition.
Tips for Choosing a Used Car
The fact that you have many choices when buying a used car is a clear advantage but also makes it challenging to decide on the one that’s right for you. When in the market for a pre-owned vehicle, consider these tips to help you make the best choice:
- Determine your budget: Before visiting a dealership to purchase a used car, make sure you know exactly how much you want to spend on it. Regardless of whether you’re planning on paying for it upfront or getting a financing deal, knowing your spending limit is essential to ensure you’re comfortable with your purchase.
- Make a shortlist of models you’re interested in: Besides deciding on a price range, it’s important to decide on key aspects that you’re looking for in your next vehicle. After doing so, you can research the market and find the models that fit both your budget and your preferences.
- Test-drive it: Regardless of how thorough your research is, nothing compares to actually being inside the vehicle and taking it for a drive. After choosing one or more used cars that you’re interested in, make sure to take them for a drive and see how well they fit you.
- Consider getting a certified pre-owned vehicle: While all dealerships examine and test used vehicles before they put them on the market, certified ones get additional attention. They go through a multi-point inspection performed by certified mechanics and even receive a two-year or 100k-mile limited powertrain warranty.
Performance Mitsubishi’s Under $20k Lineup
Mitsubishi has a long tradition of building reliable and affordable cars, meaning that you’re likely to find the model you’re looking for in the under $20k bracket. Some Mitsubishi models that fit this description and come with amazing discounts are:
- Mitsubishi Mirage: If you’re looking for a compact car to make your way through city traffic, the Mirage is the ideal choice. Its great fuel economy and agility make it a great road companion.
- Mitsubishi Outlander: This three-row crossover SUV is great for drivers who want to take their family and friends on long road trips. It can also be useful for hauling cargo, as you can fold the bottom two rows of seats to increase cargo space.
Our dealership also offers other high-quality and reliable used cars besides Mitsubishi in the under $20k category. Some examples are:
- Hyundai Veloster.
- Hyundai Accent.
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class.
- Nissan Xterra.
- Nissan Rogue.
- Honda Civic.
- Toyota Tundra.
- Volkswagen Jetta.
- Jeep Cherokee.
- Hyundai Accent.
- Dodge Grand Caravan.
If you’re interested in changing your vehicle, getting a used one from a dealership is a smart and budget-friendly option. If you’re interested in checking out our great discounts for used cars under $20k, visit us at Performance Mitsubishi in Delray Beach, Florida, and see them for yourself before deciding on the one that’s right for you.